Hargeisa (The Horn)- The president of Somaliland H.E Musa Bihi Abdi has been in power for 182 days which translates to six months. The head of state appointed 32 members cabinet which comprises of ministers and assistant ministers. He also named directors general, parastatal chiefs and other top government organizations bosses.
These presidential appointees are mostly new to the political landscape of the country and consists pof youthful cabinet members. This surprised many people in the know since many did not think president Bihi was capable of transfusing fresh blood into the clogged political environment of Somaliland whereby the old guards have tightened the clang to power.
Simply the president was trying to experiment if new blood injected into the ailing political climate could change Somaliland for the better.
This has put President Musa Bihi on the league of his own different in every aspect from his predecessors one of whom relinquished power to him. President Musa Bihi Abdi becomes the third president of Somaliland to come to power through the ballot box. The Horn Newspaper is pleased to bring to our dear readers the members of cabinet appointed by each president when he first came to power.
President Dahir Rayale Kahin
President Dahir Rayale Kahin came to power in 2003, and then he appointed members of his cabinet which we highlight herein………..
- Mrs.Edna Adam Ismael – Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Mr.Ahmed Haji Daahir Elmi –Minister of Planning
- Mr.Ismael Adam Osman- Minister of Internal Security
- Dr. Mohammed Said Gees- Minister of Fishery and Marine Resources
- Mr.Awil Ali Dua’ale – Minister of Finance
- Mr.Mohammed Hashi Elmi- Minister of Industry
- Mr.Abdillahi Hussein Iman – Minister of Settlement
- Mr.Abdillahi Mohammed Dua’le-Minister of Information
- Mr.Saeed Sulub Mohammed- Minister of Public Works and Housing
- Mr.Rashid Haji Abdillahi- Minister Commerce
President Ahmed Mohammed Mohammud (Silanyo)
President Silanyo came to power in 2010 after winning the presidency following his routing of president Rayale in the ballot here are his appointees….
- Dr.Mohammed Abdillahi Omar –Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Dr.Mohammed Abdi Gaboose –Minister of Internal Affairs
- Dr.Ahmed Hashi Oday – Minister of Livestock and Animal Husbandry
- Mr.Mohammed Hashi Elmi –Minister of Finance
- Mr.Hussein Ahmed Aideed –Minister of Public Works and Housing
- Mr.Samsam Abdi Adam –Minister of Education
- Mr.Hussein Muhummed Mohammed –Minister of Health
- Mr.Abdillahi Jama Osman (Geeljire) Minister of Information
- Mr.Mohammed Hashi Abdi- Minister of Civil Aviation
- Prof.Ismael Mumin Aa’re-Minister of Justice
- Sheikh Khalil Abdillahi Ahmed –Minister of Religious Endowment
- Mr.Hussein Ali Dua’ale –Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources
President Musa Bihi Abdi
President Musa Bihi Abdi after winning the November 2017 elections he appointed 32 ministers to his cabinet they are as follows…..
- Dr.Sa’ad Ali Shire Naleeye – Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation
- Mr.Yassin Haji Mohammud Hiir Faratoon- Minister of Education
- Dr.Hassan Ismael Yusuf Warsame –Minister of Health Development
- Mr.Awale Ismael Shirwa’a Looddoon- Minister of Planning
- Mr.Mohammed Kahin Ahmed –Minister of Interior
- Mr.Issa Ahmed Yusuf Abdalle –Minister of Defense
- Mr.Yusuf Mohammed Abdi Rage –Minister of Finance Development
- Mr.Abdigani Mohammud A’ateeye Fariid – Minister of Justice
- Sheikh Khalil Ahmed Abdillahi Roble – Minister of Religious Endowmenment
- Mr.Ahmed Mumin Seed Habane – Minister of Agriculture Development
- Mr.Abdirashid Haji Dua’le Qambi Abdalle –Minister of Lands, Public Works and Housing
- Mr.Yusuf Mire Mohammed Nuuh –Minister of Youth and Sports Development
- Mr.Abdiweli Sheikh Abdillahi Suufi Jibril- Minister of Communication and Technology
- Mr.Mohammud Hassan Sa’ad Idle –Minister of Commerce, Industry and Tourism
- Mrs.Hinda Jama Hirsi Mohammed – Minister of Labor and Social Affairs
- Mr.Mohammed Ahnmed Mohammud Awad –Minister Investment Development
- Hassan Mohammed Ali Gaafadhi –Minister of Livestock,Fishery and Marine Resources Development
- Mr.Abdirahman Abdillahi Farah Diriye (Guri-Barwaqo) –Minister of Information
- Mrs.Shukri Haji Ismael Mohammud Bandare –Minister of Environment and Rural Development
- Mr.Suleiman Yusuf Ali Koore – Minister of Water Resources Development
- Mr.Jama Mohommud Egal Mohammed –Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources
- Mr. Abdillahi Abokor Osman Yusuf –Minister of Roads Development
- Mr.Mohammed Haji Adam Elmi –Minister of Constitutional Affairs
Even though the former presidents and the current had different economical and financial constraints nevertheless they comparison cannot be hidden from any observer. The former president had appointed better administration than President Musa Bihi Abdi.
These all have far reaching implications on what the people expect from Mr.Bihi’s government for instance the president is expected to unify the nation, improve foreign affairs and economic development are three important factors that will affect the government wellbeing.
However president Bihi selection of ministers and other top government official seem to lack the knowhow and experience to implement any tangible development and as a result of this they will simply let the head of state down in fulfilling the promises made during the elections.
This will bring uncertainly to the president long term goal to sail Somaliland out of the rough seas to prosperity because his crew lack the experience of good sailors.
The last elections opened wounds in Somaliland unity and those injuries seems as if they have not healed so the head of state and his government has to move fast to find a remedy to heal the disunity.
The former president Ahmed Silanyo foreign policy was always criticized, but today the current government is entering uncharted territories as the future becomes more unpredictable following the fast pace of development which Somaliland must catch up. Another important thing to note is that Somaliland connections with the international community is passive and needs activation.
President Bihi needs to go back to the drawing board and select a cabinet of experienced technocrats who can remove Somaliland from the muck.